CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Author Interview: M. M. Shelley

Blurb:

For centuries magical beings have hidden in the darkness, waiting. Some good, some evil. A battle is brewing, and only twins, Grasiella and Tatiana, have the power to stop it.

Buy links: 
AmazonB&NSmashwords
Bio:  

M.M. Shelley is a storyteller, wordsmith and dreamer. MISHAP AND MAYHEM, a captivating story of faerie's and magic, is her debut novel. She has traveled the world extensively in search of the magic which is often overlooked in every day life. M.M. Shelley is a native of southern California, and a student of mythology from which she gets much inspiration.

___________________________________
RR: I am a dreamer and I enjoy travel. Mythology has always been a favorite of mine; it’s what helped shape my imagination. Traveling to different places and experiencing different cultures is dear to my heart.


TF: What inspired you to write Mishap & Mayhem? 

RR: I spent sometime in Hawaii, traveling to the different islands. Waimea Canyon which is the Grand Canyon of the Pacific and can be found on Kauai Island is where I drew much inspiration. Another was from my two nieces who were spending the weekend with their grandmother, that’s when the two connected and Mishap & Mayhem was born.


TF: What is Mishap & Mayhem about? 

RR: For centuries magical beings have hidden in the darkness, waiting. Some good, some evil. A battle is brewing, and only twins, Grasiella and Tatiana, have the power to stop it.
It’s the summer of the year 2045, and sixteen year old Grasiella, along with her twin sister, Tatiana plan to visit their grandmother in Hawaii. They have no idea that when they arrive on the island of Kauai, they are about to be drawn into a secret, the secret, of their family’s dark origins and magical powers.
On the first day of their arrival, their grandmother is accused of a horrible crime involving a faerie. Whispers have spread throughout the islands about the disappearance of a faerie named Sita Knook and her connection to a mysterious group known only as the Cinerians. Before long, Grasiella and Tatiana are doing battle with ancient races and magical beings.
All the while trying to retrieve an ancient stone of power and impress a couple of local surfers, Kana’i and Kye, cousins who have some pretty exciting family secrets of their own. It’s pretty serious stuff for two girls who were planning to spend the summer at the beach getting tans, but then that’s the trouble with secrets, sometimes they just don't stay buried.

TF: Who is your favorite character to write, and why? 

RR: I really enjoyed writing the twins because they are both so different and yet are both motivated by the same things.


TF: Who was the most challenging character to write? 

RR: The most challenging one to write was Pele, the Hawaiian fire goddess. I have Hawaiian friends and I wanted to be careful not to offend them with my interpretation of Pele. I found Pele to have a quick temper, judgmental and not to fond for ‘Haoles’ who are offlanders. She has a great love for her people and a protective nature toward them.


TF: What was the hardest scene in the book to write?

RR: Mishap & Mayhem does have a prologue, and that was the hardest for me to write. It was important because I had to explain why there was a great mistrust of the faeries toward the humans and what had caused it.


TF: What inspired you to write?

RR: Growing up with four brothers who always outvoted me on what we were going to watch on TV. I was drawn more and more to reading and eventually I started writing my own stories.


TF: What is your favorite book?

RR: There are so many great books that I’ve read so it’s hard to pick. As a child my favorite was Wait Till Helen Comes by Mary Downing Hahn. I’ve always loved a good ghost story. I’m a fan of Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte. Edgar Allan Poe is another one of my favorites.


TF: What  hobbies do you have, other than writing?

RR: I do know how to Crochet, its something my grandmother taught me. I also study Kung Fu and have a black belt in Tai Shing Pek Kwar, and I also play the Djembe drum.


TF: How long did it take you to write Mishap & Mayhem? 

RR: It took me about three to four months to write Mishap & Mayhem. This includes my research and creating character backgrounds.


TF: If you had a superpower what would it be? Also, what is your favorite mythical creature? 

RR: I’ve was asked this once before and I thought my superpower would be the ability to heal. That was until it was pointed out to me that if I became a Doctor I would have the ability to heal. My favorite mythical creature is the unicorn. Ever since I watched the movie, ‘Legend’ I thought they were beautiful.

TF: Thanks for your time and good luck with your book! 
RR: Thanks to you too for your great questions! I invite everyone to check out my blog: mmshelley.blogspot.com and to follow me on twitter @MM_Shelley
___________________________________


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They let me know that someone here on planet Earth actually reads this stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...