CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Review: Abandon

Abandon by Meg Cabot

 Book Rating: 3/5 Stars
 Cover Rating: 5/5 Stars

Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Point; 1 edition (April 26, 2011)

 Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.
But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.
Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.
But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.

INTRO & SETTING: This book was good, but it didn’t really pop to me. I love Greek mythology, but I feel like this book was a bit too.. Fluffy. don’t get me wrong, the prologue was stunning, as were some of the chapters, but it really just didn’t do it for me. The setting, Isla Huesos, was perfect for the book and is really on of the things that made the book what it is. Also, the flowers sound really awesome. (Excuse my inner gardener.)

CHARACTERS: Hmmm. There isn’t a whole lot to elaborate on. Pierce is likeable, but all she ever thinks about is I died, I died, I died. I get that it’s an important fact, but I would have liked to know more about her than just that. She really falls flat. John Hayden, who is a Death Deity, fit the part well, though. But the two’s compatibility as lovers? *makes long, loud, obnoxious farting noise* The other characters were underdeveloped. You got what they were supposed to be like, but you never actually saw that in them. It made me frustrated.

PLOT: This plot started off slow, and stayed that way. First of all: It’s mainly Pierce telling you about her poor, sad, cruddy life. Waahhh. There are also a bunch of flash backs, and you find yourself having to flip back a page or two because you get so confused. And the romance made me want to pull my hair out! Pierce is mean to him and talks about how scary and moody he is. Absolutely no spark at all. And then, all of the sudden, in the last few pages, “Don’t stop kissing me! I looovveee you!” *headdesk* NOOOO. It doesn’t work that way. That, my friends, is insta-love, which is just wrong and bad and bleh.

FIRST SCENTENCE:
 “Anything can happen in the blink of an eye.”

LAST SCENTENCE:
 “And maybe that- not him- was what I’d always feared most of all.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They let me know that someone here on planet Earth actually reads this stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...