CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Review: Between The Land and The Sea

Between The Land and The Sea by Derrolyn Anderson

 Book Rating: 5/5 Stars
 Cover Rating 4/5 Stars

  • Publisher: Self- Published
  • Format: Kindle Edition
  • File Size: 460 KB
 Something extraordinary is lurking in the deep ocean waters off the coast of Aptos, California. In just a few weeks after moving to the small beach town, sixteen year old Marina has nearly drowned twice, enchanted the hottest guy in high school, and discovered a supernatural creature. If she can only manage to survive her increasingly dangerous encounters with unpredictable mermaids, she might just be able to unlock the mystery of her past to learn how to appease the mysterious forces that seem to want something from her...and maybe even find true love along the way.

 INTRO & SETTING: I received this book for review, and let me tell you, I'm soooo glad I accepted it. I read this book while headed up to visit some family, and it was a 14 hour drive. I couldn't set my kindle down. This book grabbed my attention from the prologue, and it doesn't let go. Since this book only comes in e-book form, I'm not totally sure how long it was, but it was just the right length for me. Longer than most, but it didn't drag. And the setting- Aptos, California- was absolutely perfect. It sets the perfect mood for the story, not to mention it's beautiful, and I have a weakness for beaches. 


 CHARACTERS: Wow. I'm really not sure where to get started. Marina, the MC, thinks a lot like I do. And after reading this book and being halfway into the sequel, I feel like I know her really well. She's smart and has a feisty side even she didn't know she had. Marina's dad, who travels the globe helping third-world countries with his studies, is protective and loving, but her mom, who died when Marina was born, is a touchy subject for him. Aunt Evie, who isn't really Marina's aunt, but prefers to be called that, is a rich model who shared a floor Marina and her father when they lived in a high-end San Fransisco apartment.  Marina's real aunt, Abby, is sweet and a vegan who has a slight problem with cooking, but that just makes her more endearing. Cruz, Abby's son and Marina's only cousin, just rocks. He's got an aversion to tofu, thanks to Abby, and makes kick-ass designs that leave me drooling. Megan, a close friend of Cruz's and Marina's, is level headed with, as Marina put it, "wicked sense of humor." And, finally, *swoon* Ethan. He's gorgeous, but that's not all to him. He's protective (just the right amount) and sweet at the same time, and works too much. He likes to plan  ahead, and spends a lot of time gardening and landscaping, not to mention working at the local farmers market. All the characters are extremely well developed. They become real to you. I feel like I've lived in Aptos and met all these people. 


 PLOT: I love the beach, and I have always adored books about mermaids. And like the characters, the plot is extremely well developed. Marina has to accept things she's never even thought about, deal with terrible, sleep-walking nightmares, and make a huge, nearly impossible choice. Not to mention she's head-over-heels in love. The plot keeps your attention, and although I wish the climax was a bit more dramatic, it still left you satisfied and on your toes. 


 RANT SPACE: I just simply loved this book. It's detailed and real. If you love para-romance, and if you have a mermaid or ocean obsession, like me, you should totally check this book out. Actually, check it out even if you don't because I promise you'll enjoy it. I have tremendous respect for the author- this book is amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They let me know that someone here on planet Earth actually reads this stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...