CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 6, 2011

Genres?

So, lately I’ve been becoming more aware of all the genres out there. Paranormal, Urban, Adventure, Romance, Dystopian, Mystery…. Seriously, there are SO MANY.  So I started thinking (I recently discovered I could do that. Think, I mean.) Why  do I love Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy, and a few Dystopian novels?
 Well, here’s a little list I made full of reasons why I love these genres.

1) ROMANCE. I’m a hopeless romantic. And while I don’t want a novel to be centered completely around the romance- that kills the point of the bigger plot-  most of the time romance is a key point in Paranormal, Urban, and usually Dystopian.

2) VIOLENCE. I’m a action junkie. Some novels in these genres don’t- but a lot of them do. And, as sick as it may sound, I love good fight scenes that are well thought out and paced evenly.  Take The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins for example-  part of what made these books great is its detailed fight scenes.

 3) CREATIVENESS. These books are brimming with creativeness. Each one is different- and each one is brilliant in its own way. One main character is a siren, another is a vampire, and another is a gorgon. They take place in different times, places- in books we can be anything we wish, and we can be anywhere we wish.

4) FRIENSHIP. Now, you may think I’m crazy after this one. Which I most likely am. But in a way, you form a friendship with the main characters, and even secondary characters, in the books you read. How could you not, after you have seen their every thought, every desire? And that leads me to my next point.

5) BREAKING BOUNDARIES. This is a major one for me. Before I got really into books, I thought that the “popular” kids were a bunch of brainless, whore-tastic bitches. But then, as I began to explore books more, I started to realize: we’re all just people. By judging someone on their social rank, I was no better than a “popular” kid. And this isn’t just limited to my favorite genres- they all cover this. But a Paranormal/ Urban book that really changed my view on others was Nevermore by Kelley Creagh. It’s told in third person limited, the MC being a popular girl named Isobel. A cheerleader, with blond hair and a jock boyfriend. But as I got deeper into the story, saw her do the things that I would never have the courage to, I formed some respect. I started talking to the popular kids at our school more. So to sum it up: don’t judge people so easily, because guess what? That makes them the better person.

Anyways, I’ve yapped your ears off, probably. I got a little off track, also, but I think I covered my bases. I hope you all enjoyed this, and If you made it to the end, you truly have the nerves of steel. So if you agree, disagree, whatever, feel free to comment. I’d love to know your point of view.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! They let me know that someone here on planet Earth actually reads this stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...